Monday 8 February 2010

University- a rather long blog because I was in a good mood =D

//Intro
So once again I’m sitting down at my computer/laptop in a lecture writing a blog. Yes, I know what you’re thinking…In a lecture surely you should be working…well yes, but when the lecture is on “Poster Making” I feel like I’m in a primary school class learning how to use safety scissors.

//Poll
Should maths in its entirety go and die in a hole…

I personally think “yes” due to the fail I managed to achieve on my departmental exam (24% woooo) however as my course mate, Ben, stated I should care as it holds 10% of this year’s mark which I have to pass….

So yes vote…”Should maths in its entirety go and die in a hole?”

//Graveshifters
Once again Graveshifters took to the airwaves on Saturday evening to broadcast to the world with its banter and music. The show kicked off with the theme from Thunderbirds mixed in with Starstrukk by Katy Perry. The main features included Troll where we invited our pet Troll into the studio to carry out a section where we search the internet for new unfound funny and interesting music/videos (although music is preferable as it is a radio show). This week’s “Troll” was a man Beat boxing the super Mario theme on a flute:



Other features included the Sunday Serenade which for your enjoyment I have posted below in the form of a link…this will also count as the Ukulele section as well:

Ukulele Section

However the highlight of the show was when my lab partner, Wil Bennet, descended on the studio 10 minutes before the end with his house mates, each holding a female equivalent to Mr Box. Yes that’s right Mr Box suddenly got fans:


Thank you so much to everyone who listened and to Wil Bennet and Co for the amazing contribution. We look forwards to next week’s show =D

//Course
As mentioned in Poll I have received my departmental exam results…
Electronics – Pass
Mathematics- Fail
Overall- Pass

The letter I received in response to this stated:
“Your overall mark corresponds to a Third Class degree classification”

Yay go me…NOT.

However its not all doom and gloom, I stumbled across this in my department last week:

That’s a container of asbestos…which for some reason the uni is full of.

I also found this

How ironic…


//Housing
So in other news 4 of the guys on my floor decided to share a house and have actually *fingers crossed* got one. It is here on the map:

View My Saved Places in a larger map

It is a terraced 3 story house with huge double rooms, bathroom/toilet/shower room, medium kitchen, big lounge…all in all its pretty sweet. So hopefully we will have it for next year.

//Christian life
So I think I have finally found a Church, Heslington Church (5 mins walk from the Uni) is a lovely Church of England/Methodist cross, it has a modern attitude to worship and a smallish congregation. I have been there 3 weeks now and am liking it. After Church on Sunday Rachel (Friend from CU) invited me and Jono to her house for dinner. It soon became apparent that she also does blogging so here is her blog:

http://rachelmaryelizabeth.blogspot.com/

We had sausages and homemade chips and then finished off the afternoon with a game of articulate where Jono apparently has never heard of a “Sweatshirt”. We also graced their house with our amazing baking skills:



All in all it was an amazing afternoon and was lovely to get to know the lovely house of 20 Sussex Road even more =]



//Person of the week
Once again I am going to have to have two people of the week as they both deserve a special place in this blog:

Person number one: Wil Bennet
As previously mentioned he spent his Saturday evening making cardboard friends for Mr Box. This made my Saturday. He is also my lab partner and in the last lab session we made a bass amplifier and this was made all the more fun by the introduction of his amazing sennheiser headphones.



Person number two: Rachel de Quidt
Rachel is an amazing person, she is lovely friendly, and has an amazing sense of humour. She also invited me and Jono around for lunch which makes me like her even more XD



//Updates
Not really an update but just to prove I am living the student life:


That’s a shopping trolley full of Morrison’s Value Shopping…ohhhh yehhh

Also Jono is truly a student…he burns things:


//Door Wars
I know what you’re thinking, did that not die…well no. A couple of weeks ago Jonny Grout came back to find his room…hanging in the corridor:





//Prayer Requests
-For the Radio Show, thanking God for it
-Thanking God for the house
-Thanking God for my friends
-Praying for the work load that is ever increasing

//Summary
Been an exciting week, ups and downs, obviously the lows are not put in this blog because I don’t want you all to get depressed.
Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Much love
God bless
David
xx

3 comments:

  1. HMMM a logical conundrum
    Should maths in its entirety go and die in a hole? posed as a STATISTICAL survey. If YES is the answer, then the survey is dead and doesn't count (so maths survives) but if NO is the answer then the survey stands and so does maths. Perhaps you would be better off designing posters.
    Of course, if maths dies then I would never have been a maths teacher and you would never have known me and that might be of advantage to at least one of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geoff that answer is pure genius.
    Whilst I dislike maths very much I'm afraid to say I voted for it to stay...for everyone's sake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quite clearly what happened infact was that people said yes which killed the survey and the blog, though maths continues and (probably) our beloved Graveshifting blogger is stuck on question 4 and hence unable to let us all know what s/he has been up to for some time.

    So, to help out, here is the full solution to question 4:

    x = 0

    so x(x-1) = 0

    so x-1 = 0

    so x = 1

    therefore 0 =1

    ReplyDelete